Saturday, July 31, 2010

Just a silly little thing, really...Festivals.

Traditional Japanese Festivals. You know, there's something about festivals, and that *thing* is usually that significant things occur within the duration of a festival. For example, in the musical, "Into the Woods", Cinderella meets her prince at a festival (I use the example of "Into the Woods" and not the classic children's story because the term "festival" is only used in "Into the Woods"). I am sad to report that absolutely nothing happened at last night's festival. It was more of a visit to the past than a ticket to the future. I saw people who used to be my friends, people who used to be more, and I even encountered a long time enemy of mine.

It is a little known fact that I have been going to Japan every summer since the summer of second grade, and I  have attended school, in Japan, up until about eight grade. Therefore, when I see someone or something to remind me of that time, I get a butterfly in my stomach. These were mental notes I took in my head; 

Two girls who used to be my friends *Butterfly* 
A girl whose house I used to go to. She has a big white dog. *Butterfly*
A large group of teenagers. I recognize one. *Butterfly* 
My best friend of four/five years. She waves and we exchange smiles *Butterfly*
The boy who made me a CD of popular Japanese songs once. He was always so kind. *Butterfly* 

But then, I saw it. My enemy ever since I began going to the festivals. 

The Open Mic Karaoke Machine.   

Ever since I had began singing, it had taunted me and tormented me to no end, constantly calling out to me as teenager by teenager went up to sing, only to gain approval from their loud peers. My cold, hard stare had stopped upon the robot, and Mama, sensing my thoughts, voiced that I should go sing. I turned to her and immediately protested, but in my mind, I wanted nothing more than to go up and put in "Anatagairukara (Because you're here)" by Nakashima Mika and show them who the awkward half (half Japanese/half American) lurking was. I actually began to consider going up there and singing. The possibility became more and more friendly, and I was about 65-79% there. And then, the unthinkable happened...

The MC announced the last song.  

That blasted machine had prevailed once again. I hung my head low in defeat and walked home.

There's another festival tonight. The battle continues, my friends. 

                                             Love always, 
                                                  Delphi

P.S.  "Age wrinkles the body, quitting wrinkles the soul" 
                   -Douglas McArthur

No comments:

Post a Comment